Techtate was shutdown for some time on the very first day of this New Year. Sorry for that !! And the reason for that is Techtate was migrated to its new host on that day. I faced some problems and did some minor errors which made my host transfer a bit difficult. But at the end, learnt the complete format to transfer a host from one hosting to other. It was just migrated between 2 Hostgator servers, so much errors weren’t felt by the site. Here is a complete guide to migrate your WordPress Blog to a new server.
First of all I would like to share with you two links for those who bought their servers in Hostgaotr.
Enter your new (Hostgator server) and old server details over here and Hostgator will itself take care of your host transfer. But for WordPress blogs its not much adviced to use this since they provide you a warning that your theme and images wont be transferred. So better you opt for a manual method.
This is the second link. This is also for the Hostgator users. If you fill in the details over here Hostgator transfer team will contact you. You can have a live chat with them . Give them the information asked and they would do the migration job for you.
Important Tip :
- Log into your cPanel account and enter into files –> Backups . Click Full Backup and backup your entire full website backup over there.
- Actually this must create entire back of whole site including MySQL databases. But I found it difficult to fetch database records from these files. So its better you can create a separate database BackUp. To do this go to PHPMyAdmin and export files from there.
All set for Migration .
3 STEP MIGRATION :
STEP 1 : IMPORT HOME DIRECTORY FILES
Enter into your new cPanel. Get into file manager over there. Click on the upload option. Upload your entire zipped backup file over there. Extract them.
You will have a public_html folder over there. Drag and move it to your new public_html area on your cPanel or extract the files there itself. All your contents would be transferred over there. You would see the wp_Content files in public_html area in the above screen shot which was taken after compete transfer.
STEP 2: IMPORT DATABASE
- Database –> MySQL database. Create a new user over there. Note down the password and Username.
- Now get into phpMyAdmin. You will be redirected to phpAdmin page.
- Select your database from your side tab and click import.
- Browse your SQL file and click GO.
STEP 3: CHANGE LOGIN DETAILS
- Get into your wp_config file.
- There change your database name, user name and password with your newly created ones. Save the file. The things to be changed is marked in the image below.
Make changes in your Domain name settings and your site is now fully transferred to your new host. Wait for some time for complete transfer and your site would be back to normal. Usually 3-4 hours is taken for complete transfer and domain name will take some time to get transferred. Be patient till then. Your site may even get redirected to some anonymous sites over that time. Need not panic. I have made this guide as a complete reference step by step procedure for newbie users and beginners. Hope it was useful. Share your views and doubts below
Happy Blogging .