In present article I have discussed the detailed procedure for installing WordPress on your PC. It’s quite simple and within minutes you will be up and running with your local WordPress installation. This WP installation will operate as any other Custom WordPress Installation. You will be delivered complete freedom to perform all sorts of major or minor operations without having to worry about the outcome.
Now, before beginning with how-to part, let’s discuss the possible benefits of doing so.
- You can go for extreme testing. In other words you can try customizing the themes and plugins in the way you want them to be. Once you achieve the output, you can then deploy the changes on your web server. This way you always remain on the safer side. If something goes wrong then no harm will come to your online website.
- You can easily test new plug-ins and experience their aftereffects.
- If you need to test some new workflow then instead of having to burden the live-server you can consider testing that locally. Also, the WordPress installed on your local machine will be more robust and responsive.
Technically, there is no difference between the WordPress on a site-server and one running on the local server. It’s all about a few PHP files, a connected database for information storage, and the server. Here, the task of the server-application is to interpret PHP files and execute the instructions embedded in them.
How to Install WordPress On Your Local Machine?
I implemented this setup on my PC with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition using Wamp server. Lets us now come to the point of focus.
- The foremost thing would be to install Wamp server on your PC. The reason for selecting it is that Wamp manages most of the things on its own and requires least user intervention. Download it from the official website for free. (Make sure that you download the correct version (32 bit or 64 bit ) as per the version of Windows Installed on your PC).
- Now run the executable and install it in any directory on your PC. (“ D:\wamp ” in my case).
- Specify “localhost” as the name of host and an email address when prompted.
- Next, you can download the latest WordPress installation Zip on your computer. Now, you need to visit the ‘www’ directory inside ‘Wamp’ folder and extract all files there. (“ D:\wamp\www ”)
- Now, make sure that the Wamp server is running (In green) and try opening “localhost” in the web server. Soon after that you will be prompted about installing WordPress. This was a an installation on my own PC so I did not bothered to create a configuration file beforehand.
- In the next step you will be prompted about the configuration settings i.e. name of an existing database, MySQL username, database password, Host, and the table prefix.
- * You can easily create a new database and assign new user from “http://localhost/phpmyadmin/”.
- Now, after submitting those details you will be asked to provide a name for new website and create a new WordPress administrator.
- Finally click on “Install WordPress” button. Then you can login to your dashboard and do anything.
This Installation will run locally on your PC with no dependency on live internet connection. Still, for installing new themes and plug-ins; internet will be required.
Most of the users face issue with permalinks. The issue can be fixed easily by enabling mod_rewrite. For that select wamp server icon from system tray, the select “Apache modules” >> ”rewrite_modules”. You might require restarting Wamp server manually.
Hopefully no 404 errors will occur and redirection will happen as per the instructions in .htacess file.
There are a few Limitations as well:
- This WordPress website cannot be accessed online.
- Not Idol for situation where you require testing URL specific functionalities. For example: Social media tasks, Pingbacks, and other similar jobs.
* The men with WordPress Blogs on some shared hosting must understand that things may run perfectly normal on their local WordPress installation, but same might not happen online due to lack of system resources. To prevent any kind of damage you must consider any of these Database Backup Plugins.